Sunday 1 September 2013

Underrated Fig

Whose Grandparents had an orchard of fruit trees in their back yard when they were growing up?
I always remember as a child, teen and adult and now my children, going into the orchard at my Grandparents to help pick up the fruit. What ever was in season be it apples, peaches, persimmon or the under rated fig. As a child I would help collect, pick and eat the fruit and then help my nana bake, bottle or make jam.

Figs are something that I never had a taste for as a child. My own children look at me like I'm crazy when I suggest that they try them.
I will always remember the large buckets, full of these beautiful fruit. I remember my Nana and Popa eating them and trying to get me to try. It was a very sad day when my Nana passed, but the orchard still gives us all, an abundance of fruit and that fig tree is still fruiting.
At the moment figs are in abundance here in Tbilisi. They are in every fruit shop and on every corner, stacked in neat piles or overflowing in buckets. I just couldn't resist buying a few. I'm not sure if it was because of old memories or that I'm just loving buying and trying all the local produce.
I have fallen in love. i have fallen in love with crostini, blue cheese, fig and a drizzle of honey.
Today I made some delicious fig and brandy jam to put away for the cold of winter when figs are out of season. I have even frozen some whole to use later.
 
Below are some recipes that I collected when I was looking for the jam recipe, hopefully I will get the chance to try a few before these delicate fruit disappear.




Non of these fabulous photos were taken by myself. Click on the links to get the yummy recipes.

















2 comments:

  1. I LOVE fresh figs!! Fortunately have a friend locally with a huge tree and last year I traded pesto for some of her figs. Nice to eat roasted with honey and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I will have to try this one. Might even be able to get the girls to try.

    ReplyDelete