Monday 3 February 2014

Arrogance Or Ignorance

Big CONGRATULATIONS to Georgia on a great win in trying conditions. 35-0 over Belgium.

With the temperatures at a cool -5 degrees Lily and I packed a thermos and some comforting snacks, put on our snow gear and headed to the rugby with some friends. Considering the temperature outside, the game was a sellout and the stadium was packed.

Cold day at the rugby

First mistake of the day was to choose a seat at the bottom of the stand. A good idea I thought. Lily could entertain herself, play in the snow, make little snowmen and not be in anyone else's way.

Second mistake of the day, was to think that Georgian men would have the consideration not to stand in front of you while you watch the rugby. Oh I forgot, they probably thought because I am a woman I don't need to watch. I have no problem when everyone stands as things on the field get exciting. God knows I do my fair share of jumping up and down, but I have a problem when people stand on the path leaning against the railing to have a chat, drink beer and wrestle.

Third mistake, asking if they could move and being told that I should move higher up into the stand. At this point I'm just a little sick of them all and my blood starts to boil.

Forth mistake being in the path of a really annoyed camera man who took offence to being asked to move by someone and decided that he would use his fists to fix the problem. No harm came to me apart from a little loss of balance on the slippery concrete. Where is security, when you actually need them.

These camera men thought it would be a good idea to set up here just before half time.

Fifth and final mistake asking a couple of young men who had clearly been drinking to move ............... out of my way. My blood is now at boiling point. Bless his little cotton socks, this young man picked on the wrong lady. With his face a little too close to mine, he asked me to ask him nicely. Oh I'm guessing even with his very limited English he understood my reply and those of you who know me know I wouldn't have asked him nicely.

Don't get me wrong I love the experience of sitting in the stands watching the games, I love the atmosphere, the cheering and the support for the team. Some of you may be thinking, well that's just what you have to deal with when you are at a public event and I expect that maybe once or twice people will stand in front of me but the whole game, come on. What are these men thinking when they stop there 'oh she won't be watching the game, I will just stand here', do they actually think anything, or do they think it's just their right. I have no idea. But this sort of thoughtlessness happens in many different situations around this city.

arrogance

noun

noun: arrogance

  1. 1.
    the quality of being arrogant.

    "the arrogance of this man is astounding"

    synonyms:haughtiness, conceit, hubris, self-importance, egotism, sense of superiority;


ignorance

noun

noun: ignorance

  1. 1.
    lack of knowledge or information.

    "he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"

    synonyms:incomprehension, unawareness, unconsciousness, inexperience, innocence; More

    antonyms:



As I sit and write this, I wonder how we teach these lessons to our children. To teach them that it is important to think about other people, even if we don't know them. To think about what they are doing and how it will affect others around them and in their world.

What did I learn today - next time demand VIP tickets.

1 comment:

  1. Bunch of f*%k-tards! How bloody annoying. Definitely go for the VIP tickets next time, no corporate box? xx

    ReplyDelete