Tuesday 11 March 2014

Just Plain Old Pakeha

I admit I spend a great deal of my free time catching up on the latest photography, fashion, food, family and news blogs.  As I have said before, this is the only way I can keep in touch with what goes on in the rest of the world.  I read the NZ Herald on line everyday and  the occasional Stuff web page, I watch TVNZ news clips on the Internet and watch CNN and BBC in English on the TV.   I like to keep up with what is happening at home and also how our news reporters and journalists view what is happening in the world.

To the point of this post.  I was sent a link to a blog, news blog I guess. The article that has got me thinking is about 'the lack of information and reporting of one of the New Zealander's on the  Malaysian flight MH370.  It talks about why one of the passengers on the flight has been reported about and the other (by this report)  has been labelled the invisible passenger.  It suggests that the invisible passenger is not as equal a New Zealander as the Pakeha man and that because his name wasn't very Pakeha sounding, mainstream media has little interest in reporting about him.  Really.   Because what I have got out of all the articles that I have read is that his family don't want to make a comment and just maybe the media is respecting their wishes.
At the moment does his family really care about this.  Are they thinking poor us we are getting less media attention than the other family, no I think not.  I think they just want to grieve in peace.

As I sit and think about how I feel about this article and what thoughts and feelings it brings forward for me, I wonder 'if I wasn't just plain old Pakeha would I feel differently'.
.

I would love your thoughts on this.


No comments:

Post a Comment